It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:19 am

Post subject: Delay on monitored folders.
PostPosted: February 4th, 2022, 11:12 pm 

I've been plague with files waiting for access after it has been added to the folders being monitored, i suggest adding a delay feature to tackle this issue. I have to find which app most times its the file downloader after it moves the files to the monitored folder.

S.D

Post subject: Re: Delay feature
PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 7:31 am 
Site Admin

There is already delay, files are being checked on small delay for access. The program must be able to access them to process. If some other program does not properly release the files after moving - report to that program devs.

Post subject: Re: Delay feature.
PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 10:55 am 

That's not the case I made sure I recorded the process happening in real time TC grab the file before it's completely moved to the specified folder. See video

phpBB [media]

S.D

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 11:11 am 
Site Admin

That's normal. It will see that it does not have access to it, as soon as moving process is over and the other program release the file -> it will process that file.

The other program must release the file correctly after moving - if they don't release it I can add 2 hours delay and it won't matter, it won't be able to access that file. It really has nothing to do with any delay, the program which is moving the file must release the file after moving correctly so that other programs could access it fully.

In your video everything is fine, the other program seems to release the file correctly and it processes the file normally. Everything is fine.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 3:43 pm 

The video was just an example to show that there is no delay as to when the file is grabbed by TC from the monitored folder, nothing to do with error nor processing. Several years back z.o.o.m file uploader had the same issue it was resolved with the delay feature. See attached file.

SD

Attachments:
Screenshot_20220205-104020_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg
Screenshot_20220205-104020_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg [ 148.71 KiB | Viewed 647 times ]
PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Everything works fine. There is no need for any longer delay.

It works fine - sees the file -> waits for moving to finish -> processes the file.

There are no errors and no issue at all.

It already works without problems for more than few years. There is no need to change anything here.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 4:13 pm 

If it did would this post exist? no!..if you want to see the issue can show you the proof but I won't go there. As the page forum topic stipulates "suggestion" it was all that so saying "It already works without problems for more than few years. There is no need to change anything here." Your selling a service, to me that was just plain RUDE to say.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

What issue do you have exactly? I'm fixing and improving all issues.

There is no issue here of what you described. It works as intended and correctly.

The program sees the file -> waits until it finishes moving -> processes the file without issues. This is 100% normal and correct.

If you have some issue please let me know and I will fix it.

I was adding the status after it finished moving previously, but a lot of people suggested to improve that and add the status as soon as it sees the file, which also seems to be much better overall since that gives immediate response and you know what's happening and would also be able see errors better if any. Making the status appear after file is moved would be going backwards and just less information.

I believe you just misunderstood that this is indented behavior. As mentioned I was adding the status after file was moved before (as you're suggesting), but then a lot of people thought something is wrong since they couldn't see the status immediately. Having the status as soon as it sees the file and letting the user know what's happening seems to better and less confusing.